Welcome to my stamp blog

Welcome to my stamp blog
Feel free to leave comments!

Friday, September 7, 2018

Specific Sports in Olympic Games Collection

As I work to build the pages in my Olympic Games collection I've come to the place where I want to change how I do things to improve the appearance - again. Originally I divided my collection into three parts: "Founding of the Modern Olympic Games", "Summer Olympic Games", and "Winter Olympic Games".

I subdivided the "Founding of the Modern Olympic Games" into sections containing stamps that commemorate Pierre de Coubertin, the founder of the Modern Olympics. Stamps that depict the role of art in the Olympics. Stamps that highlight the Olympic hymn and associated people. Stamps that depict the opening Parade of Nations. Those stamps that feature the Olympic Rings. Stamps highlighting the Olympic Flag. Those depicting the doves of peace that are released at the beginning of each games. Those stamps dealing with the Olympic Torch Relay and the Lighting of the Olympic Flame. And a very small section that has the stamps highlighting the Olympic Presidents. Essentially, this collection is all about those stamps that focus on the things related to the founding of the Modern Olympics.

The Winter and Summer Olympics were separate collections subdivided according to the Olympic Year. But I've merged those two collections into one that I call "International Olympic Games Highlights", still subdivided according to Olympic Year. The winter and summer games are still separate as the dates of the games are different.

Now here is where the big change comes. I decided to separate the stamps in each Olympic Year according to the sports depicted on the stamps. So instead of keeping a country "set" of Olympic stamps together, I will break them out into specific sports during that Olympic year.

Then I add a little bit of background of each sport at the top of the page for context and interest. If I have stamps depicting a specific athlete then I create a separate page for him or her within the sport and add some biographical information for interest.

I'm beginning to enjoy the look much better.



No comments:

Post a Comment