Welcome to my stamp blog

Welcome to my stamp blog
Feel free to leave comments!

Sunday, October 30, 2016

Trip to the Wright Brothers Museum in North Carolina Nets Set of Aviation Stamps for Collection

Saturday we took our sailors to the Outer Banks of North Carolina for our military ministry activities. Among other things, we visited the Wright Brothers Museum in Kitty Hawk, North Carolina, the place where powered flight first began.

One of the sailors, Josh, and Yvonne found a set of stamps in the gift shop and showed me. They both know I collect stamps. So, I bought the set to add to my collection. This will be the beginning of my Space Stamp collection. I have a lot of space stamps, but just not on album pages.


A couple of weeks ago I purchased a first day cover with the Wright Brothers 1949 6 cent aviation stamp on it. I was drawn to the set at the museum because it had the mint single in it.


Eventually, I will set up the pages for these stamps that will be the introduction to my "Space" pages.

What I thought was really cool was what I found out during the ranger's presentation. That a piece of the cloth from the wing and a piece of wood from the plane the Wright brothers flew at Kitty Hawk was actually carried by Neil Armstrong aboard Apollo XI when it landed on the moon!


No comments:

Post a Comment